Anxiety is characterised by:
- Excessive and/or unrealistic worry that is difficult to control occurring more days than not for at least 6 months about a number of events or activities.
- Motor tension (eg. restlessness, tiredness, shakiness, muscle tension).
- Autonomic hyperactivity (eg. palpitations, shortness of breath, dry mouth, trouble swallowing, nausea, diarrhea).
- Hypervigilance (eg. feeling constantly on edge, experiencing concentration difficulties, having trouble falling or staying asleep, exhibiting a general state of irritibility). (Jongsma, 2006)
In extreme cases an individual’s anxiety level may even escillate into a panic or anxiety attack:
‘the sudden onset of intense anxiety, characterized by feelings of intense fear and apprehension and accompanied by palpitations, shortness of breath, sweating, and trembling’ (American Heritage Dictionary).
Is this you?
Whether extreme or mild, living in a state of fear is extremely draining and challenging.
Talking with a professional about what you are experiencing, and developing strategies to help alleviate your anxiety can improve your quality of life.
There are several evidence-based therapies in use today that have been proven to assist individuals in the reduction of symptoms of anxiety.
Please contact Deborah Sanasi on 0416 166 501 to arrange an initial consultation.
We offer anxiety counselling to people located around the Norwest, Baulkham Hills, Bella Vista, Castle Hill, Kellyville, Glenwood, Stanhope Gardens and Hills District areas.
Deborah did an incredible job helping me overcome my anxiety. I had been a sufferer for many years and had tried a few different options in the past often with very little or even damaging effect. Within only a handful of sessions she had helped me understand my anxiety better which in turn has greatly reduced it’s influence on my daily life. I recommend Deborah highly to anyone that may need her help.
Do you have questions or would you like to enquire about an appointment? Please leave your details below and I will be on contact with you soon.
We are situated in Lexington Drive, Bella Vista. Please feel free to contact Deborah Sanasi on 0416 166 501 to arrange an initial consultation.
‘Who said you could wear my clothes?’ ‘Get out of my room!’ ‘You’ve been on the computer for hours!’ It’s normal for teenage siblings to fight over all sorts of things. Teenage siblings argue just as much as younger children, but they tend to fight about different...
Are you trying to save your marriage after hearing a spouse tell you that you are always controlling. How can you save a marriage when a spouse has given up, due to your controlling behavior? Hang in there, and we will explore that question.I hear from people almost...
- Counselling Norwest. Blog article written by Cristina Vides. It was the worst day of my life. The day I packed up my children, a few boxes of belongings and drove away from our family home for good. I never imagined that ‘divorce’ would be part of our story, but...
The worst part of anxiety is having anxiety about the anxiety, itself. The metaphor of a snowball being rolled down a hill of is one I use to illustrate how unchecked anxiety rapidly grows. Children can learn to cope with anxiety by learning two crucial skills:...
Read about why we suppress hurt, it’s effects, and how to deal with it so that it doesn’t control your life.